I'm borrowing this blunt but realistic post from my friend Ganns on why we should (or not) consider helping those affected by the Ondoy floods in the Philippines. I also posted a Paypal donate link on the right side of this website in case you want to give.
You should also be aware that natural disasters also hit Indonesia, Vietnam at Samoa days after Ondoy. Hope you'll also remember them in your prayers and giving.
These are the top 10 reasons you shouldn’t volunteer for any Typhoon Ondoy relief operation:
(Warning: some links contain graphic materials)
10. You’re not getting anything out of it.
9. You’re scheduled to go to Caliraya in a motorboat.
8. Yuck, make tapak in the putik? Kadiri, noh.
7. You’d rather go shopping for alcohol.
6. You’re too emotionally attached to every single item of clothing in your closet that you can’t part with them. Every t-shirt. Every sock.
5. You can’t find a volunteer center nearby.
4. God doesn’t care, even if his people do. Why should you? (I’m doing something productive praying for whoever made this sign.)
3. You can’t live without your daily Starbucks.(Php100 x 30 = Php3000 / Php23.00 (per 1.5L bottle of mineral water) = 500 bottles of water, enough to properly hydrate a four-member family for one month)
2. You’re having a hard time breathing.
… and the number one reason why you shouldn’t volunteer for any Typhoon Ondoy relief effort…
1. The government isn’t working. Why should you?
Your country needs you. The Philippines needs you. Not everyone gets a once-in-a-lifetime moment to change someone’s life and to make a difference. This is your moment. Please volunteer or donate.