Monday, October 26, 2009

Filipinos most lovable people on earth - Father Reuter

I love what the ailing 93-year-old Family Rosary Crusade TV host, Ramon Magsaysay and Catholic mass media awardee Father James Reuter has to say about the people he served for more than 7 decades.

“I had been asked on many occasions why I have been in the Philippines for 71 years and my answer is, the Filipinos are the most lovable people on the whole face of the earth... I find the Filipinos I talk to are closer to God and it really touches me when people come to me. I am always wishing that I was so close to God as they are. I am far closer to God (through) the people here in the Philippines... I learned from actual experience here in the Philippines that if you truly give anything you will receive so much. So I would say it is a blessing to be here. And it is a blessing to help those who are in need,”

And finally...

“For everyone in the Philippines, right now the test is to help those who are in need, to help those who need help. It is not enough that we are grateful for the gifts that God has given us but we have to reach out to others as far as we can.”

Any faithful servant of God nearing the end of his/her life reminds me of the verse below that best sums up Fr. Reuter's service to God through the Filipino people.

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness ..." (2 Tim 4:7, 8)


No comments:

Post a Comment