Monday, August 24, 2009

Pamana

The only pamana that most of us can hand down to our children and grandchildren is our name and what it stands for. When asked once how I would wish to be remembered, my reply was deeply influenced by my personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I said, ". . . as a faithful servant." My wife is one, and I also see this Christ-like attitude in my children. I know I will die a happy man.

When the name Aquino is mentioned, two people will, no doubt, come to mind - Ninoy and Cory. Then certain phrases will automatically get associated with that name. People Power. Sacrifice. Democracy. Senator Noynoy's refusal of a state funeral and a national monument for his beloved mother says a lot about his character. He will, I am confident, pass his parents' legacy on to the next generation of Aquinos.

When the name Marcos is uttered, two people will, no doubt, come to mind as well - Ferdinand and Imelda. Then certain phrases will automatically get associated with that name. Martial Law. Dictatorship. Golden Buddha. How Representatives Bongbong and Imee live out their respective political careers will determine whether the phrases accompanying the name Marcos will remain or change. Pressure? Opportunity? I think, both.

How about our national legacy? Will Filipinos be perennially known as corrupt, servile, mimics? I certainly hope not. The ball is on the next generation's court. Pressure? Opportunity? All I can say is, Guys, please do a better job.

Proverbs 22:1 says, A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment