Monday, May 13, 2013

From Kermit Gosnell to a Dad’s Wish for Abortion to End in Our Generation

poc2a3fzcoStories that came out of the murder trial of Dr. Kermit Gosnell were so gruesome that pro-lifers should be shocked of the gruesomeness of his practice and the way he viewed the life of a late-term baby.

If you don’t know who Kermit Gosnell is, you’re not alone. The mainstream media has been very slow in reporting this story because it doesn’t fit the liberal narrative on the women’s right to choose that the media openly support. Gosnell is the abortionist from Pennsylvania who is found guilty today of killing one woman and multiple late-term babies who’d been born alive after failed abortions. The babies he terminated were outside the womb and fully developed that he once said the baby was “so big, he could walk with me to the bus” before snipping its spinal cord with a pair of scissors.

The horrible details from Gosnell’s abortion clinic now famously known as the “house of horrors” made some lifelong pro-choice people revisit Roe vs. Wade, the law that legalized abortion and reflect on whether or not it’s time to reconsider that view. Local reporter J.D Mullaner said in an interview “there is one journalist sitting in that courtroom who writes for a local publication who has told me that he is very liberal, very pro-choice, but after sitting through the testimony in the Gosnell trial, he’s reconsidered. He’s changed his mind.” Also in The Wall Street Journal, pro-choice columnist James Taranto wrote a commentary implying that there is a time and a place for legalized abortion. He called abortion “a grave evil that ought to be abolished. It is murderous, if not categorically then at least in its extreme manifestations… it requires an assault on language and logic that has taken on a totalitarian character. And it is politically poisonous.” He also finds the arguments in Roe v. Wade completely unconvincing saying, “when you dissent from Roe v. Wade: You come to see that there’s not much else by way of intellectual content to the case for abortion on demand.” He added while his “moral intuition is that an early-term abortion, or the use of abortifacient to prevent implantation, is different from a late-term abortion or infanticide,” he acknowledges that this intuition “is irreconcilable with the scientific fact that the difference between zygote and an infant—or, for that matter, an adult—is one of degree: All are human beings at different stages of development.”

As a father and who believe in the sanctity of human life – from conception to natural death. I understand that it will take more than changing laws to end all forms of abortion. It will take changed hearts and minds. And if the mainstream media won’t tell the pro-life message to others, then I would. I’ve been open to my young children about my pro-life convictions and have taught them the dignity of human life including the unborn. I make opportunities to talk to my children about babies and the humanity of those who are still inside the mother’s womb, discuss to them that unborn children are not blobs of tissue or somehow less than human because they are small. I want them to see abortion the way I see it, not as a “rights” issue, but as a “moral” and “ethical” issue. At the same time I to talk to my children about personal restraint and responsibility and when the time is right, advise them to guard their bodies from unwanted pregnancies. How I wish legalized abortion will end within my lifetime. But if not, I wish it will in my children’s generation. I know I can only do as much as a parent. In the end, and when my children grow up, it will be their decision what position to take. I can only hope that they will make the right choice – life.

No comments:

Post a Comment