Thursday, March 18, 2010

WEEKLY BLOG #5: Who's Scared of Google?

If you can't find answers to your questions, what do you do? You, "Google it!" If someone asked you a question and you don't know the answer? You say, "Google it!" The fact that Google has become a vocabulary of its own, is proof that Google's influence to the public is widespread.

I was a Yahoo user prior my discovery of Google in 2000. Since then I used the popular search website as my home page. But if I think I get more information from Google, I should think again. Truth is Google get more information about me than what I get from Google, and to many, this is a waving red flag that shouldn't be ignored.

According to the New York Times, "Google began raising ethical concerns with various projects including mapping the entire planet, archiving classic works of literature and storing newspaper articles. With a project aimed at photographing every street in America and beyond, a feature that tracks the physical location of its users, an e-mail service that searches for keywords in written correspondence - and now with a new online service that records and transcribes voicemail - Google has raised eyebrows among privacy advocates"

A lot has been said on Google's "big brother" tendencies and massive data collection even tagging the search giant as "scary" or "evil." But unless my PC levitate on its own and my homepage start vomiting green goo at me I'm will not be scared of the Google's quest for world domination.

Because in my opinion, real "evil" lies with those who exploit the information for selfish and wicked purposes, not those who collect it and make it available - remember the Mumbai terror attacks of 2008?

If fear is the concern, there are other things that comes to my mind that will make me run for cover than the number of Google applications that multiply faster than the Gremlins or its unnecessary sequels. Below are ten most scariest things for me- scarier than Google's rapid expansion nor Michael Jackson. If you want to learn more about the things on my list, the best way is to (lets say it all together)... "GOOGLE IT!"

Jason's Top 10 Scariest Things (in no particular order):
1. Loosing a love one unexpectedly
2. Dentist
3. Public shootings
4. Movie "Jaws"
5. Frogs
6. Public speaking
7. Being tortured
8. Plane crashes
9. Regan from "The Exorcists"
10. Catheters

No comments:

Post a Comment